12.08.2008

The bread of idleness....

Proverbs 31 is a well-known chapter that describes a woman that very few of us can live up to. Reading through the list of her achievements and accomplishments can make a modern-day woman feel dizzy! When we read through it recently as part of my women's Bible study, one particular part specifically stuck out - "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her; 'Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.'" (Prov 31:27-29)

Now, mind you, I would never have considered my life to be "idle;" when you're a teacher, there is always work to be found. Between classes, planning, grading, etc I feel like there's never a spare moment! I certainly don't have time to exercise! And those dishes will just have to wait until tomorrow! I have too much to do!...
I do, however, manage to catch a chunk (read - 3 episodes) of Law and Order on TNT and yes, I did manage to watch some House after dinner.... but that's different... I'm just "unwinding!" Then why did I feel so darn convicted???

While I do consider true unwinding to be a legitimate (and often NECESSARY!) activity, it certainly shouldn't be a past-time! And I started to realize that I was, indeed, eating the "bread of idleness."

Since my "breakthrough," I have been trying much harder to choose the right thing. I may be tired when I come home, but I'm not 12 anymore and if I don't do those dishes, they won't magically do themselves, they'll just smell worse the next day! If I don't get into the habit of exercising now, it certainly won't get easier or more productive in 3 years! And, if I don't make time for God now, how can I expect to have the faith to fall back on when life gets really tough. It's not fair for me to watch tv when I haven't even given a shout-out to my Lord!

As a result of my efforts, I have noticed three things: (1) My house is much, much cleaner (Mom, you would be so proud!), also (2) my husband is appreciative. He has always been very, very helpful around the house but lately since he's seen how much more I've stepped it up, he's even more apt to wash some dishes or sweep without me even asking. Finally, and most importantly, (3) I feel great about myself! Knowing that in this area I am really, excuse-free, doing my all keeps me free from any guilt I might have felt. Even when someone catches me off-guard when we had an extra busy night and the house is a little messy, I have no guilt because I have confidence in the fact that I am doing all that I need to.

Now, that's a good feeling! Well, Ms. Proverbs 31, I have yet to come close to attaining your standard, but it feels good to make some progress!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roe, This is good practice. When I have my granddaughters you will see how busy you can be, when they are sleeping you can use this new skill to get your other chores done. Its great you will love it.Love MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B. J. Robinson said...

Becky,
As a teacher, I know what you mean by having no time to spare, but as you say, we must make time for the important things in life and God and exercise are a must. Don't skimp on either. When we get into a routine,it becomes easier. I've slacked in the exercise department and need to get myself back on track.

Blessings and Holiday Tidiings,
Barb