8.18.2007

Pre-Dean

So we haven't been able to post in a while, due to flaky internet and lack of time (apparently we have to work, we can't just hang out....) but we finally found the opportunity so we decided to snatch it up!


We've met our neighbors, who speak beautiful English!!!, and they are really nice. They're helping us get settled and feel our way around. Today she was telling us about preparing for Hurricane Dean. It's not supposed to hit Honduras, but the rains can cause some pseudo-severe flooding... Nothing too dangerous (and our apartment is on the 2nd floor so our stuff will be fine) but we just needed to stock up on some kerosene, water, and food. Thanks again for the lantern Mr. Sharp! For the price of a gallon of kerosene we would only be able to buy 1/2 a pack of batteries!


We start school on Monday, and we're really not prepared... I don't know how it
will go but God is sovereign and we trust Him in it. If you're the praying
type, you can pray for a smooth start to the school year!


Last Saturday we went to Los Chorros (the waterfalls) with Pastor Ken, his family, and another family. It was wonderful! The falls are all natural and go up the mountain for miles with a waterfall, then a pool, then another waterfall, another pool, etc. At the base pool is a part where the water swirls around to make a natural whirlpool. We played there with the kids for hours!



Oh! and we found a scorpion near our house! It was pretty cool! (well, I mean, had it stung us, we probably wouldn't find it that cool, but it didn't so YAY!) Dave, of course, took pictures and then carried it in a tub back over to the empty lot so it wouldn't bother anyone. Everything is so different here in La Ceiba, it's a little hard to get used to, but it's really exciting at the same time! I want to post a picture, but I can't seem to get it to load on this connection... I'll try and get it later!

We love you and miss you all! Hope everything is going well in the states (We heard about the heat wave! but at least you all have air conditioning!) We'll try to post again soon and let you know how we rode out the storm :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

Love your picture with the kids and the water. I pray you will be fine with Dean and also that you will have a smooth school year, not just the beginning.

My new school year started today, and it went smoothly. I took your advice and went for regular reading at the school I used to teach at, and everyone is so nice and really show me how glad they are to have me back. I am glad to be home again. I felt like I was in heaven today.

Love and prayers,
Barb

Rachel A. Miller said...

hey Becky,

I really need to talk to you - what email address are you using now?

Hō-ō said...

Looks like y'all fortunately missed most of the hurricane action. Dave, I hope you are taking lots of photos. Hope you both are doing well!