8.28.2007

Strike!

Hello to all!

Becky and I are still doing well! There is a huge strike right now in Honduras, a lot of people are unhappy with the government or wages and are picketing. We are safe where we are, but some people that live near the airport could not get to school yesterday because picketers had blocked the bridge. Also, Pastor Ken could not leave for Costa Rica because the bus drivers were on strike and he was supposed to leave Monday morning on a bus. It is much better than we initially heard, though! At first we heard that the water and power companies would probably strike as well so we would be without running water and electricity, but that did not happen. Hooray for electricity! From what we hear, it will all be over within a few days.

The kitties were having a little trouble adjusting to the heat (it gets up to about 90 here every day). So guess what we did? WE CUT THEIR HAIR! They look pretty funny. Becky says they are ugly, but I don't think so. They are doing much better now. They are running around and playing more, especially in the evenings, when it is a little cooler. Pictures are coming, I left them at home. We will probably try to save up for an air conditioner for the spring, when it is supposed to be the hottest here.

Happy Birthday to Becky!!! We stayed home Sunday, Becky wanted to cook a Honduran recipe. She made a dish with chicken in coconut milk, it was delicious! The only downside is that the jalapenos in it made her hands burn from cutting them and my hands burn from doing the dishes. They aren't that hot in the states!

I need to get a crown done here... I should really set up an appointment soon. Apparently, I had ANOTHER tooth that needed a root canal (I hate my teeth). I found out right before we left for Honduras. The root canal was done last week, here in La Ceiba. It went pretty smoothly, but it hurt a bit more than the previous ones. The endodontist that I went to was very good; she goes to our church and is a member of the school board.

Last week, in addition to being the first week of school, was also the youth rally at the church. The youth had worked for a long time, preparing their own programs with skits, songs, and games. It made for one busy week, but it was very good. Our next door neighbor, Carly, wanted to go with us to the rally, so she came Thursday and Saturday. Our neighbors are very nice, we like them a lot! They also speak beautiful English, which is a huge blessing in many ways.

School is going pretty well, we have a lot more planning periods that we ever did in Florida, but there is a lot more here to do. We help out in a lot of ways around here. We fix computers a lot. We also proofread tests, quizzes, and handouts that other teachers are printing. Yesterday we helped Lourdes and Pastor Corona move their offices. Also I have 4 labs to prepare for, yikes! We also have to write our own tests and quizzes, which I am finding out is kind of annoying. Compared to last year, I have a lot less students, but Becky has more. I feel very disorganized at this moment. We have so very little free time! I want to organize, but have too many other things to do. Things will settle down, but pray that we use our time wisely and make the most of the work time that we have. It will get better, I am trusting in God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky and David,

Glad to hear that things are going o.k. for you guys. Spencer has his open house tonight, but he started marching band the first week in Aug. I worked this morning and have a class this afternoon to learn a new computer system. Alex's first class was today, he loves his school. Your mom was so happy to hear from you. We miss you and hope to hear from you two soon.

Lots of love,
From your favorite typist in Virginia

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! PLEASE get a picture of the naked cats up here!

Anonymous said...

Dear Roe, Iam worried about Felix knocking on your doorstep. As soon as its possible please let me know you and Dave are safe. All weekend I have been studying, I had Emily on the phone for hours {about 3 or 4 hours} I really miss you. I was so happy to talk with you the other day. I know you are doing something important but I sure miss you. Everything here is fine. Maggie is coming Sept 6th for a day or two then I take her to Daytona so she can take care of her brother while her sister-in law goes on a cruise. It will be fun to see her. Call as soon as you can. I love you Mom

Hō-ō said...

Hey Dave and Becky,

Are y'all staying in La Ceiba for Felix or evacuating? I've been watching the weather here a lot lately and Mommy has, too. Stay safe and contact me when you can.