8.22.2007

WE ARE OK!!!


our street is flooded! (up the street view)


our street is flooded! (down the street view)



right outside the church

Dean has passed, and we are all safe here at the school. It brought a lot of heavy rain Monday, and the city flooded in some places. We had an interesting taxi ride during one of the first squalls that came through, but it was good because we got home just before our street flooded. It stayed like that for a few hours, and then the water went back down.

The first day of school (Monday) went pretty well. It was only a half day, which was good because we had many questions about policies, etc before the day was over. Yesterday, we did not have school because of the weather (which actually wasn't bad) so we spent the day regrouping and planning. Today classes went well- it was our first full day of class! Things are up and down, we are usually very happy to be here, but sometimes we just wish we were home.

Rufus and Tiny are doing well! They just had their third, and last, trip to the vet . Now the vet can send all of the paperwork to the capital, Tegucigalpa, so our cats will be officially Honduran. The paperwork was much more expensive than we were told when leaving the US, so we will be making the cats clean the house and do dishes to earn their keep.

Keep the people of Mexico in your prayers, the rain was pretty bad here and we were nowhere close to the eye with much much more rain and high winds.

Most of this I wrote yesterday, but the power went out after this was typed but before I got it posted. Bummer! But praise God for auto recover! The power seems to go out a lot here. It went out today as well in the middle of class, but the church has generators which they use in cases like that.

Dave and Becky

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you made it through the storm! I thinking about you two. The eye actually landed at Costa Maya, where we went on our cruise last year. I haven't heard anything about the conditions there - except no one lost their lives, thanks be to God! Still, I wonder about the living conditions. It was a very poor, rural area.

School has gotten off to it's usual organized confusion. Send me (carrollyn16@earthlink.net) your email address and I'll tell you more. Thanks again for the e-Post-its!

Take care of yourselve. I miss you guys.
Carrollyn

Anonymous said...

Roebie - I am so very very happy to hear from you even though it`s through this blog. I still need to talk to you about finances. I miss you so much. I miss picking of the phone and talking to you!
Mon., Tues. and Wed. I had jury duty. It was very interesting. We found him guilty. School starts Mon. the 27. Wish me luck! I`am scared to death and really excited at the same time.

Roe I want you to kmow that I typed this myself, which by the way is taking forever. I`ll sign off for now, but please call soon. Love you guys so very very much.

Love, Mom

Blue Ridge Traveler said...

Happy Birthday to you... Happy Birthday to you..Happy Birthday dear Becky-y-y-y-y... Happy Birthday to you-u-u-u-u...!!

That's the best we can do since we can't call... Glad to hear you both survived and really hope teaching will be a joy! Have the kitties adjusted okay? Keep us posted with how things are going.

Love, Daddy & Mommy

Rachel A. Miller said...

Happy Birthday Becks! Hope things are settling in...

Love,
Rae

Anonymous said...

Dear Roe - HAPPY BIRTHDAY...I COULD DEFINTELY USE A ROEBIE HUG TODAY. I REALLY HATE SHARING YOU.......DAVID, YOU CAN TAKE THE SMILE OFF YOUR FACE NOW. I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY. IF YOU WERE HERE I WOULD MAKE YOU LAMB AND GRAVY WITH A COOL WHIP CHOCOLATE CAKE. SO, TELL DAVID HE BETTER TOP THAT.

I WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT YOU AND I PRAY THAT YOU ARE HAPPY AND HEALTHY AND HONDURAS IS EVERYTHING YOU HOPED IT WOULD BE.

HAVE A GREAT DAY SWEETHEART. KNOW THAT I LOVE YOU AND THINK ABOUT YOU CONSTANTLY. AGAIN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I LOVE YOU.

LOVE, MOM - HUGS AND KISSES

P.S. Who knows, by the time you return I may be a decent typist.

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky,

Hope all is well with you and David. Our boys won this weekend, we beat the Ravens. I'm ready for some football. The boys are doing well, Uncle Duncan is in Chicago this week. This weekend we all go up to Mass. for a wedding reception, for Brett and Ira. That is his sister's son. You know how much I love to fly so be praying for me. I love you more than the typist in Florida.

Lots of love,
Aunt Patty

Anonymous said...

Becky,

My little sister has a birthday August 24. Hope yours was happy. Glad you safely made it through Dean.

Love and prayers,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.