9.17.2007

Hola!

Hey all! It has certainly been a while since we’ve posted. It seems like every time there is time, there is no internet! But all that should change soon, Dave and I are going to use this next paycheck (Tuesday) to get cable and internet! Which means we should be able to post from home AND if all goes well (God willing!) we should have an internet phone up and running in the next week or 2… we finally unlocked our cell phones from the states, and the number is : 33-66-80-45, keep in mind 2 things-
1) you would need to affix a code for Honduras in front in order to call and I don’t know what that number is, but you should be able to find it…
2) It will cost you a fortune to call… if you can wait, please just wait until we get the phone and that way you are saving money.
Right now we are in the middle of a 4-day weekend. Friday was off in order to celebrate the Independence Day (Sept. 15th) and Monday for Teacher’s Day. Honduras has a lot of holidays, they know where it’s at!

A new missionary teacher has arrived. Her name is Elizah and she is from California. She understands a lot of Spanish, but doesn’t speak as well… yet! She will undoubtedly learn very quickly and blow Dave and I out of the water. She’s very sweet and we’re glad to have the company (she lives right next door to us!)

Friday we went to the Quince party of one of our students. Here, rather than celebrate the sweet sixteen, they commemorate the 15th birthday. Yes, I said “commemorate.” Please believe me when I say that this “party” was more impressive than our wedding! She was beautiful and had 15 “maids” (her friends in what looked like bridesmaid dresses) paired off with equally impressive guys in tuxes. She danced with her father, sang, and then there was a performance by Castillo del Rey, a human-video group at the church. After all that was the catered dinner and the cutting of the cake. It was just like a wedding, without the groom. There was even a cake topper on top of the cake of a girl in a white dress! It was awesome to be a part of and to see our students all dressed up and having fun outside of classes.

Saturday was the Independence Day parade in Centro (downtown). There were a bunch of marching bands from different high schools in the area and tons of people. We walked around for a bit, accidentally drank the “purified” water brand that we were warned not to drink, bought and ate some lychees, and had a really good time. Dave was even “interviewed” on a radio program in Tegucigalpa. A man walked up to him and started asking him how was the parade, etc. Keep in mind that our Spanish comprehension is minimal and our ability to speak is equal. Dave managed to convey that he was from Florida and the parade was very good. :)

We love you alllllll and we love reading your comments, so keep ‘em coming!
Love,
Dave and Becky

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becky and Dave,

It is so good to hear from you again. I was beginning to wonder if you two were ok. I am glad to hear you are. I miss seeing Becky's friendly face, hearing her soft voice and encouragement, feeling her gentle touch like a dove on my shoulder this year. I know she is busy encouraging others and making a difference where God has taken her on her journey. God bless you both. Do keep in touch, so I know you are ok.

Love and prayers daily,
Barb

Anonymous said...

Dear Roe, I am thrilled to hear from you. I miss you guys so much. Let me know your telephone number as soon as possible so I can call. I have so much to tell you about school. I could definately use all the help I can get, and some advise too. Emily will soon be tired of receiving daily phone calls [Paul as well], but thats what brillant kids are for, right? Please call soon. I love you both. Take care. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Becky and Dave,

All is well here, Spencer is in School and band. I have my first listing, I'm very excited about that. Alex is very busy with his classes. The weather has gotten cooler here which I'm loving. I had a beading class tonight, I made a bracelet. Your party sounds fun, we went to Mass. for a wedding reception. Duncan's nephew had gotten married in Indonesia, and they had an American reception over Labor Day weekend. We miss you guys.
Lots of love Aunt Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky and Dave,

Hope you are okay after drinking the water you were not supposed to drink. I wanted to let you know that I love teaching Intensive Reading, regular education, and to thank you for suggesting that I go back to my former school and apply for that position. I did get it, and I love it! Thank you so much for the advice! I also wanted to let you know that I have a FOR-PD Fall Section, and I am excited about that. I am also excited about working with the Christian Writers Guild, American Fiction Christian Writers, and the Long Ridge Writers Group. I thank God for these great opportunities! May God keep and bless you. May He bless you in your new position and location and keep you happy, full of joy and peace, and safe!

Love and prayers,
Barb